Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Super fluff snow, this is the winter we want!




The snow did pile up as predicted! It is a gorgeous powder day as it was yesterday. Girdwood has received over 12 inches of snow in the last 24 hours at the base. The snow is dry and fluffy, fun to blow around and flop down into. 

Yesterday evening was not as fun for one spot in particular. I went to Moose Meadows to ski the loop, yet found it more of a snow shoe ski walking trek. I definitely need to wax my skis! And the wet snow all happened in the 15 minutes it took me to walk to the park. Once I stepped down into the Meadows, I was greeted with a stiff westerly wind coming through the pass. It was quite warm, well relatively warm. The temperature had been around 27° most of the day, but by 5 pm it was about 34° with the wind. As a result, the top of the snow became more wet than silky and my skis did not want to slide over the surface. 

This morning and through most of the day it has been around 28°. However, my husband and I have a new temperature gauge. We know when the snow slides off the metal roof on the house behind us the temperature has risen above freezing. At about 3pm I noticed the neighbor’s roof was clear of snow. Sure enough, the snow falling outside was at a faster rate indicating a more liquid content than frozen content. The temperature was at 32° at that time. 

The forecast for Girdwood is temperatures in the high 20’s tonight and then creeping up to mid 30's Thursday. That means there may be rain along the coast. There are high percentage chances of snow and rain for the next two days. Great ski and riding condition, come enjoy more space to yourself during the week on the slopes! Even better, if you are already in Glacier Valley, tonight is Jack Sprat’s burger night. Freshly ground beef with a special theme creation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment